Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Thank you, Marissa Mayer. Now don't mess this up




Marissa Mayer speaking with me, Caterina Fake, Padma Warrior (not pictured) and Molly Wood at CES 2012.


(Credit: James Martin/CBS Interactive)

commentary I am going to make you uncomfortable. I'm going to make myself uncomfortable. I'm going to talk about the intersection of leadership, gender, motherhood, and personality. More specifically, I'd like to talk about Marissa Mayer, who is a new breed of woman in technology and business and -- as a pregnant CEO -- a role model of the highest order.


I've been lucky enough to meet Mayer, the newly appointed Yahoo CEO and hopeful savior, twice. The first time made a lasting impression. I had just been promoted to editor-in-chief of CNET Reviews, and I was feeling proud to be one in a handful of women in tech media leadership. I waited in a long line of ladies at an event for women in technology to introduce myself. When I reached Mayer, I told her about my role, and and I asked her to join CNET for a CES panel on women in technology.


I expected, because of her high-profile position, some combination of condescending acknowledgement and "call my agent and we'll see." Instead, I got stunning graciousness. Mayers' whole face lit up and she said in her characteristically squeaky voice, "Congratulations! That's huge! And I'd love to join yo... [Read more]




No comments:

Post a Comment