Friday, July 13, 2012

Watching a pilot crash-land, from his point of view




(Credit: Larry Hockensmith/YouTube Screenshot: Chris Matyszczyk/CNET)

I would no more pilot a plane than I would wear a lampshade on my head to dinner.


This remarkable -- and, as it turns out -- very instructive footage is a case for my defense.


It was posted to YouTube by Larry Hockensmith, who takes full responsibility for everything that happens in it.


This includes his sailplane's wing crashing into someone's mailbox.


I am grateful to Gadling.com for directing me to this beautiful and very slightly disturbing footage, which, I suspect, may not disturb regular pilots at all -- or even regular people with mailboxes.


Hockensmith's own description of the landing -- which took place on a road near the Cleveland National Forest, a couple of miles southwest of Lake Elsinore, Calif. -- is quite breathtakingly open.


To accompany his YouTube posting, he begins: "Complacency has no place in soaring."


I am not aware if he knows anyone at RIM or Netflix, but it is a line that may soon adorn many an office cubicle in those and other companies.


Hockensmith continues: "I was trained better than to have lingered on the lee-side of a ridge over rough terrain. The dramatic outlanding was ... [Read more]




No comments:

Post a Comment